What is the Australian National Academy of Music?
The Australian National Academy of Music is a unique institution for training the country's finest classical musicians. With an emphasis on individual growth through tailored programs, the Academy is committed to supporting talented musicians in refining and strengthening their individual musical voice, thereby empowering them to address the exciting challenges and possibilities of a life in music in the 21st century.
Academy Musicians participate in a rigorous program of individual and class instruction, chamber and orchestral training and extensive performance practice. In the course of the Academy's year musicians are exposed to a variety of opinions and ideas from leading performers and pedagogues from around Australia and the world.
Who studies at the Academy?
There are more than 50 students enrolled full-time at the Academy, coming from all around Australia. Academy musicians are citizens of Australia, and are mostly aged between 18-30.
The instruments Academy musicians play include violin, viola, cello, bass, piano, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, French horn, harp and piano
Where is the Academy located?
ANAM is located at the South Melbourne Town Hall, 210 Bank St, South Melbourne (enter via Layfield St).
To get to the Academy, you can take the 112 tram to Clarendon and Dorcas Streets, the 1 tram to Clarendon and Park Streets, or the 96 tram to the South Melbourne Light Rail station.
Do I need a ticket for Academy performances?
Performances at the Academy are either ticketed or by donation. Check the season brochure or on this website to find out whether an event is ticketed.
You can book for ticketed events at ticketmaster.com.au or 136 100.* Alternatively you can purchase tickets at the ANAM box office one hour prior to performance.
What are your ticket prices?
- Single tickets: $50 Full $25 Concession* 136 100 or ticketmaster.com.au #
- Uni Student Rush: $15 (available only through the ANAM box office 30 minutes prior to the performance, subject to availability)
- Primary and Secondary Students: $15
- Under 5: Free
- Masterclass: $5 at the door
- Academy@1/Fridays@3: Entry by donation
- School Groups/Groups of 10 or more: contact ANAM 03 9645 7911
*Booking fees apply.
Am I entitled to a concession ticket?
The bearers of the following cards are entitled to concession rates: secondary school student card, tertiary student card, seniors card, healthcare card, pension card, Veteran card, Musica Viva subscriber, NGV member, MSO subscriber, State Library of Victoria member. Additionally, ANAM offers special rates to members of Arts Partner organisations (Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Musica Viva, National Gallery of Victoria, State Library of Victoria and Victorian Opera).
Can I reserve a seat for a performance?
Unless otherwise specified, all Academy performances are general admission. If you have special needs, or require assistance, please contact us in advance to make suitable arrangements.
What is your refund policy?
Please view our terms and conditions
What discounts can I get with my ANAM 2010 subscription?
ANAM subscribers are entitled to discounts from the following businesses in and around South Melbourne:
- Avocado Boutique 198 Bank Street, South Melbourne - 10% discount
- Honey Bar 345 Clarendon Street, South Melbourne - Complimentary glass of wine/sparkling/beer with purchase of main meal
- Emerald Hill Café 189 Bank Street, South Melbourne - Free coffee with purchase over $5
- Café Zappa 206 Bank Street, South Melbourne - Coffee and a muffin for $5
- Lulamae 246 Park Street, South Melbourne - 10% discount
- Mitchell McCabe 306-308 Clarendon Street, South Melbourne - 10% discount
- The Butterfly Club 204 Bank Street, South Melbourne – Tickets at concession prices from thebutterflyclub.com and $1 off all drinks
- Glass Plus Gallery 284 Park Street, South Melbourne – 10% discount
- Faye Officer Boutique 99 Toorak Road, Toorak - 10% discount